Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Cheesy Zucchini Bites #Recipe


When summer rolls around I start to think about light foods that I can make for my family. I also try to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into our daily diet. Fruits are super easy, as my family cannot get enough fruit and will try anything. Veggies on the other hand can be a bit tricky to get into my kids… and if I am being perfectly honest I am not a HUGE veggie lover either. –Don’t judge me, I am working on it.

I am always on the lookout for new side dishes to make for my family and I happened across one for cheesy zucchini bites that looked good. The original recipe was a little heavy for my taste and so I went about my usually routine of adapting and tweaking the recipe to fit my family. What I came up with was a really crisp and clean veggie side dish that my husband and I both love. 

easy cheesy zucchini bites

What you Need:
2 Zucchinis thinly chopped
1 egg
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper

How to Make It:
Preheat oven to 400F.
Spray the mini-muffin tin with non-stick spray.
Thinly slice and chop {or grate} the zucchini
Place the zucchini in a paper towel to squeeze out the excess water.
In a bowl combine the zucchini, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and egg. Mix.
Using a spoon or a cookie scoop fill the mini-muffin cups to the top.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the top is browned and set.

Recipe adapted from: The Naptime Chef


how to make cheesy zucchini bites

This recipe was pretty simple to make and cooked really quickly. I served it with salmon and rice and loved it. My sister-in-law thought that it tasted like a light quiche. It is not a heavy side and since it comes in little bite size pieces I thought it would be fun for the kids to eat.

I hope that you enjoy this side dish as much as we did. It is a great healthy vegetable side dish that is best served hot. It is cheesy without being greasy and offers a great crunch, a perfect summer side dish.

Do you have a summer side dish that you love?

This recipe is linked up at Delicious Dish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy:

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...