Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September is Newborn Screening Awareness Month

September is almost over and October has one foot in the door, but before I say goodbye to September I wanted to give it one last shout-out. September is Newborn Screening Awareness Month and this is a very important topic for me as a mother of three little ones.

September Newborn Screening SaveBabies.org


So what exactly is newborn screening? Newborn Screening is a series of tests that can detect a variety of disorders in newborns. There is the heel prick blood test, the hearing test, and the pulse oximeter test.

ABC's of Newborn Screening

Not every state is the same. You can see what your state tests for at the Save Babies Through Screening Foundation. If you are unsure what specific testing your hospital/birthing center/midwife performs – don’t be afraid to ask.

I have participated in some great twitter parties with The Baby Ladies as well as some fun and educational BlogHer Baby Showers. I have enjoyed learning more about this cause. As a former educator I am all about being prepared and learning all I can in order to provide the best start for my family.

Having a baby? Know someone who is expecting a child? Take a minute to learn more about newborn screening and help spread the word. Use Baby’s First Test and Save Babies Through Screening Foundation as helpful resources – as both sites are filled with information.

September Newborn Screening

I knew about the heel prick test and the hearing test before I had children, but I did not know about the pulse oximeter test {this test checks the amount of oxygen in baby’s blood by using a sensor attached to a finger or a foot and is not invasive}. As a result, I did not know to ask about this test or push for it with my children. Now I know. Now I will ask. Because the more you know, the better you can do.


Did you know about these newborn screening tests?
Do you know what specific testing your state performs?

Disclosure: I was not compensated in any way for this post.


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...