Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A day out with THOMAS the Train!

Mom and the boys in front of Thomas the Train

Father and son with Thomas the train

My son loves trains. He absolutely adores them. He likes to build train tracks, take bubble baths with Percy & Salty, and he likes to light up his world with his Thomas the train flashlight. He is all about trains.

My husband thought it would be fun to take our son to the Illinois Railway Museum for a “Day Out With Thomas.”

As soon as we arrive at the park my toddler went on sensory overload! There were trains everywhere you looked. There were all different types of trains to gaze at. He was in complete and total awe.

The very first thing we did was take our picture with Thomas the train. Then we climbed aboard for a 20 minute train ride in a passenger car pulled by Thomas himself! William spent the train ride looking out the window, talking to everyone around us, and singing train music. My son sat down the entire time!

Train ride with Thomas!!

My child does not spend a whole lot of time standing or sitting still. He is a mover and a shaker and is always on the move. He wants to Go Go Go GO all the time! So William sitting down for a 20 minute time span is a really big deal.

After our ride with Thomas we got to check out all of the other trains at the museum. We even got to check out some sleeper cars on different passenger trains. I kept humming the Snow song in the film White Christmas with Bing Crosby (where they are singing on the train).

*Please Note: it was really really warm that day – I did receive some funny looks*

It was an incredibly fun day. We walked around the whole day looking at different trains. We got to ride not only Thomas, but also a streetcar. We played with toy trains in the Toy Shop and cried when we had to leave. My little man got some press on Thomas tattoos. It was all very manly. We stopped only once to wolf down some lunch, which was very reasonably priced. We were on the go and going at full speed to get to EVERYTHING!  

I know that when we go to the Zoo we aren’t able to take our stroller on the tram with us if it is a full size stroller, so I was weary of bringing a stroller to this event. Instead of bringing a stroller, I did some baby wearing and William did some hand holding.

I love baby wearing, but after about an hour or two my back is incredibly sore and I know I will be hurting the next day. My baby carrier is a really old super inexpensive carrier that does not support anything! I am definitely on the lookout for a replacement! But that is another blog post in and of itself.
Mommy doing some baby wearing

Needless to say we were all exhausted and in need of a nap by the time we left.

If you have a “Day Out With Thomas” event near you, I would highly recommend going. It is fun for the whole family! I foresee us attending this event again, and again, and again, and again.

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. The opinions expressed in this post are solely mine.


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...