Monday, January 7, 2013

Home Improvement Update: Paint, Paint, and more Paint!

While I took the boys over the holidays to visit my family my husband was busy painting. He was kind enough to paint the master bedroom and our youngest son’s bedroom. Both rooms were adorned with painted borders. As mentioned before the new home had quite a few borders {I am not a fan of borders}. We are now down to just one room with borders – the laundry room.

I went back and forth about the paint colors I wanted to use. Our old bedroom was a tan color and I loved it. Our bedding and furniture went well with tan walls. We had a whole tan, white, soft blue, and sage green color theme going in the room. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do that again or change things up. At the old house we painted Steven’s nursery green and I did not pick out the right shade of green, it was just too dark. So I decided to go with a blue this time around. The grey is Behr Subtle Touch 790E-1 and the blue is Benjamin Moore Harbor Haze 2136-60.


Since all of our master bedroom furniture will be migrating to the basement once it is finished {hello fifth bedroom suite in the basement!}, I figured it was the perfect time to change things up… But what to do? After careful consideration I decided to go with a different type of neutral, grey. I chose a really soft grey color. It is subtle and classy, in my opinion and I have had a lot of fun recently on Pinterest finding grey bedroom inspirations. I am leaning towards dark wooden furniture and some various white and grey textures spread out throughout the room. Think curtains, bedding, and pillows in numerous shades of grey and white. What do you think?


Now onto our youngest son’s bedroom paint color choice. Steven will be turning two this year {I cannot believe how quickly time flies} and he will be transitioning into a big boy bed so that the crib can be moved into the nursery for when baby #3 comes along. His nursery theme was “Eli the Elephant” from Pottery Barn. It was really soft blues and greens and I loved it. When it comes time to transition into a big boy bed and get rid of the nursery décor I think we will be going with a Toy Story theme bedroom. He is a HUGE Toy Story fan. So the blue should be perfect. What do you think of the color?


It was a lovely treat to be able to come home and cross off projects from the to-do list. Especially since I did not have to do them! I really liked how the grey turned out and simply adore this shade of blue, I find both to be very relaxing colors.

Up next on the home improvement list is the basement. Hubby has been busy sealing the poured concrete walls and that means that pretty soon we will be able to put up some actual 2x4 frames. I have been busy working on a blue print for the basement. It has been fun planning and putting real ideas down on paper to see.

Do you have any home improvement projects you want to accomplish this year?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...