Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cloth diapers versus disposable diapers


                                Apple Cheeks Cloth DiaperOR   Disposable Diaper

Recently I have started to toy around with the idea of making the switch from disposable diapers to cloth diapers.

I love the convenience of throwing away the dirty diaper and putting on a new clean diaper. I like that I don't have to carry soiled stinky diapers around wherever I go. The idea of having to handle my children's poop any more than I already do does absolutely nothing for me.

On the other hand, I like the idea of doing my part to be more green. I like that there is a onetime investment in purchasing cloth diapers; as opposed to buying them every week at the grocery store at $18-$30 a pop per child. I could handle the extra load of laundry. Although, when I broached this subject with my husband he called me a hippie. I am open to being a little bit of a hippie; they are pretty laid back people, right? I could use a little more laid back in my life.

Here is my dilemma, I know little to nothing about cloth diapering. I hear terms like shells, disposable inserts (doesn't this defeat the purpose of cloth diapering?), and snappi and I shake my head in complete confusion. If I switch to cloth, what do I do at night time? Am I going to spend my life in my laundry room washing soiled diapers, clothing, and bedding? To top it off there are like forty million cloth diaper companies out there. Which do I chose?

There are pros and cons to both cloth diapers and disposable diapers. While purchasing disposable diapers is quick and effortless, cloth diapering takes much more effort and research.

I am open to the idea of cloth diapering; I just don't know where to begin. I guess I will have to spend a little more time reading and researching all about cloth diapers before I am willing to part with my disposables. Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...