Tuesday, August 14, 2012

When is the last time you shopped around for insurance?


Money

I have been told that it is common practice to shop around for insurance every couple of years. People do this in order to make sure that they are getting the best rates possible. I was never very good at doing this. I know… you only get as much out of something as you put in. If I was not willing to put in the effort to shop around, I was going to pay a higher price for insurance.


I cannot believe how much money we used to spend on insurance! If you have been following Mom Mart, then you know that we recently bought a new house. Since we were getting a new house and getting some new homeowners insurance my husband thought it would be a good idea to shop around and see if we could save some money on our car insurance as well.

We can save money and we did save money! We had no idea how badly we were getting gouged, we saved somewhere in the ballpark of $1,000-$2,000 by comparing and making the switch. I love saving money. I think everyone loves to save money. I have no idea why we waited so long to shop around for a better insurance rate. I’m just happy that we did… that is now “home renovation money”.

House

Car

Once I get started with comparative shopping I cannot seem to stop. I think it is fun comparing how the cost of living can differ from place to place. I would be curious to compare vehicle insurance rates in Arkansas versus Illinois or New York. I would imagine that New York would be most expensive and Arkansas would be on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think that the fact that changing your address can make such a large impact on your insurance rates is crazy! I am happy that we took the time to shop around and find the best deal. I shop around for the best deal on products for my home, why not do the same for insurance?

Do you shop around when it comes to insurance? If so, how often do you compare insurance rates to make sure you are getting the best deal?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...