Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Freezer Meal: Delicious Taquitos!

I mentioned earlier that I have been on a freezer meal kick lately and have been experimenting with some recipes and trying some new things out on the family. Some freezer meals have been ho hum, while some have been AMAZING!

I have wanted to make them, freeze them, cook them, and eat them all before sharing them with you. This way we both can avoid the duds and I can share with you my favorites.

Before I share with you this wonderful recipe, let me start off by saying that they are ridiculously delicious and surprisingly easy to make.  After eating these taquitos my husband informed me that they were the BEST thing that I have EVER made… Seriously. So if you have a chance try them. They are perfect for a quick dinner solution and they taste great. 

FREEZER MEAL: The best Taquitos ever!
Preperation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: Bake 15-20 minutes fresh 22-26 minutes

What you need:
  • 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • ¼ cup salsa
  • 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • ½ tsp. cumin
  • ½ tsp. onion powder
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • 1-2 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, etc. would also be good)
  • 10-12 6-inch flour tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • Kosher salt
Make It:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.  
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, green onions, chicken and shredded cheese.  Mix thoroughly until well combined.
  3. Briefly heat the tortillas in the microwave {15-30 seconds} to make them soft enough to roll easily. Place a tortilla on a work surface.  Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling mixture down the middle of the tortilla.  Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling.  Place seam-side down on a baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling, spacing the assembled taquitos evenly on the baking sheet.  Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.  
  4.  Bake 15-20 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.        
To freeze before baking, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and chill the assembled taquitos 30-60 minutes.  Transfer to a freezer-safe container or plastic bag.  To bake from the freezer, simply add a few additional minutes to the original baking time, until the filling is warmed through.

Source: Pennies on a Platter, originally from Our Best Bites



freezer ready creamy chicken taquitos
 

I wrap these in 3-4 taquito bundles so that they are perfect meal portions for my family. They go straight from the freezer into the oven and are ready in 25 minutes. I usually prepare my yummy bean dip to go with it, but you could go with a Spanish rice as a side too.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. We will defiantly be keeping these on hand as a go to freezer meal.


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...