Thursday, October 18, 2012

Getting it organized!

Moving can make people go mad… Okay, moving can make me go mad! I cannot stand disarray and prefer my home to be picked up and tidy. But just because I prefer something does not mean that it will happen. This is especially more difficult with two little boys at home. Even more so when you consider the fact that they are 3 and 1. Wow!

There are toys on the floor, but I consider the fact that I can still see my floor a success. There are books strewn on sofas where they have been read and discarded, but the pages are not torn or scribbled on …yet. This is all pretty typical and nothing that a quick ten minute mad dash throughout the house cannot fix. It is essentially the everyday disarray of a normal family and I am okay with that.

What I am not okay with is the disorganization of the adult areas of the home. These are the places where items are stored and any mess and chaos rests solely on the shoulders of mom and dad. The children do not play in these areas and there is no excuse for the insanity that is my garage/basement.

messy garage

Thus, my husband and I spent some time cleaning and reorganizing. The garage has been on my to do list for a while now. Unfortunately there always seems to be a project more pressing that needs attention first. Last week I woke up full of energy {I know… crazy right?!?} and decided to do something nice for my husband. I took the boys outside and they played in the driveway while I cleaned up the garage. My husband was able to come home and park in the garage for the first time since we moved into our new house in June!

He was super excited about being able to park in the garage and I completely understand! It is getting colder and it is no fun getting into a cold car first thing in the morning. As wonderful as this was, it was not enough. Since I started the project my husband decided to take it one step further with the organizing.

My husband went to the local hardware store and bought a gazillion hooks {in reality it was probably more like eight to ten hooks} to organize the strollers, bikes, toys, and games in the garage. Yes I said strollers. I love baby gear and I adore trying out new strollers and comparing them to others; it is a bit of an obsession. Anyways… he spent a couple of hours working in the garage hanging items and making our garage even more efficient. There are now baskets and hooks and organization where there was once disorder and chaos. There is still more work to be done; specifically with the storage bins. But I am happy with the progress we have made so far.

Garage organization

Garage organization


I also spent a large part of one day in the unfinished basement with the children moving everything to the center of the basement in some sort of orderly fashion {we are going to be finishing the basement in the very near future and need to seal the walls and floors}. This involved working with the children, so some toys came out of storage in order to facilitate cooperation… it worked. The basement is much more organized and it is ready for a coat of sealer.

I am very much looking forward to getting that project under way. Don’t worry, I will keep you updated.

Is there one area of your house that drives you crazy? Some place or space that you would love to be better organized?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...