Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Spicy Shrimp Tacos #Recipe


I love shrimp and I love tacos… so why not combine my love of shrimp with my love of tacos and then {as one of my favorite television chefs likes to say….} kick it up a notch! I have made these a couple times now and I like them more each time I make them.

These spicy shrimp tacos have some kick to them, but are balanced out by the addition of avocado and sour cream. If you love the spice you should go easy on the sour cream and avocado. I like a nice balance and I love avocado… so I tend to be a little bit of an avocado hoarder when it comes to these tacos. My husband on the other hand likes to eat these with cheese only, but then again he really loves the spice.  

spicy shrimp tacos recipe
What you need:
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs ground cumin
2 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp crushed red or green pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
Corn tortillas
Shredded cheddar cheese
Avocado
Sour Cream

How to Make It:
Toss the shrimp with the cumin, chili powder, crushed pepper flakes, garlic, and salt.
Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
Cook the shrimp on one side for about 2 minutes then flip and cook the other side for about a minute.
Remove from pan.
Spoon the spicy shrimp onto the corn tortilla and sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Cut the avocado into slices and add a slice or two {or three if you love avocado} to each taco.
Add a dollop of sour cream to each taco.

spicy shrimp recipe

spicy seafood tacos

Sometimes I squeeze a little lime juice over each one before eating for a tangy twist. With or without the lime juice these are delicious and I usually can eat two or three of them at a meal. If I am having a side like rice or beans I will stick with a two taco maximum. These totally hit the spot and the creaminess of the sour cream and avocado balance out the spiciness of the shrimp perfectly.

There are so many different types of tacos out there and I have been having a blast mixing it up in the kitchen and creating new types of tacos for my whole family. I grew up on ground beef tacos, and then changed it up to turkey tacos when I decided to embrace a healthier lifestyle, and now I love seafood tacos. I think my favorite types of tacos are the seafood tacos due to the fact that they are lighter and fresher than original tacos. They are also more fun to play around with in the kitchen and experiment with.   



What is your favorite type of taco?

This recipe is linked up at Delicious Dish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy:

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...