Saturday, November 12, 2011

Yummy Vegetable Side Dish: Sweet Italian Green Beans Recipe

I like to find yummy recipes for vegetables. In my opinion, veggies can get a little bland and boring. I am by no means a meat and potato type of gal. I love my greens, but I love my greens to have a little kick to them. This does not mean that my veggies are spicy and too hot to handle. It simply means that I like my veggies to be flavorful. I like a little taste of the unexpected.  I have a favorite green bean recipe that is delicious that I would like to share with you.

I make this as a side dish for every special occasion. It is very easy to make and is usually what I bring to pot luck dinners. It is a staple whenever I bring a dish to pass at Thanksgiving or whenever I host Christmas Eve for the family.
Even when nothing else turns out the way it is supposed to, the green beans are always great. I don’t think you can mess up this recipe. It can be cooked on the stove or tossed in the crockpot. I thought that since my family enjoys this dish you might too. 
Ingredients
  • 4 slices bacon
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped (I like to use the squeeze garlic when I am in a hurry)
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans green beans, drained
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
  • 1 pinch dried basil
  • 1 pinch dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions for Stovetop:
1.   Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove from the pan to drain on paper towels. Reserve the grease in the skillet and add the onions; cook and stir over medium heat until softened. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat.

2.   In a saucepan, combine the green beans, tomatoes, basil, oregano and brown sugar. Crumble in the bacon and add the onion and garlic from the skillet. Warm over medium heat until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.
Directions for Crockpot:
1.   Use Bacon bits instead of cooking bacon is skillet (Although I still prefer the taste of bacon cooked on the skillet – this is a nice substitute).

2.   Combine chopped onions, garlic, basil, oregano, brown sugar, green beans, bacon, and tomatoes. Turn the Crockpot on low and let cook for two-to-three hours or until heated throughout.

Bon Appetite!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...