Monday, September 17, 2012

10 Mosquito Bite Itch Relief Tips & Tricks

10 Mosquito Bite Remedies - Mom Mart

As the weather turns cooler I find myself spending and more time outdoors. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes seem to find me too.  I must give off some kind of signal to these little buggers because they always seem to find me. I get bitten A LOT! I don't mean one or two bites... My entire legs are covered in bites from front to back twice over.



While my husband has the pure willpower to not itch mosquito bites, I do not. I scratch and scratch and scratch those little mosquito bites until they are no longer little. I am not proud of the fact that I have absolutely no willpower when it comes to scratching this itch. I just cannot seem to help myself. If I know there is a mosquito bite, I scratch it.
This weekend we had a bunch of friends over to the house for our annual bags tournament {pictures to follow} and we spent a great deal of time outdoors. In fact, for the first time in years the weather was beautiful and we hung out outside a majority of the time. Only when I noticed that the mosquitoes were flocking to me in droves did I give up on the backyard and hide for cover inside.
It’s not like I was unprepared. I bought tiki torches for the backyard and had like three coats of bug repellent sprayed all over me. None of these things seemed to be a real deterrent for the mosquitoes that live in my backyard. So since I am now covered head to toe in little {and somewhat large} mosquito bites, I thought I would spend some time today putting together a little itch relief list.
The list that follows is a list of the top 10 mosquito bite itch relief remedies that worked for me. There is a whole group of messy and ineffective remedies that did not make the cut. I digress… Here is what I have tried and liked:
1.      Lemon Juice or Lime juice dabbed directly onto the bites. I just grab the bottle I keep in my fridge and use it. Something about it being cold also seems to help.
2.      Rub a dry bar of soap over the red bumps.
3.      Dabbing toothpaste over the itchy mosquito bites works well too, but can get a bit messy.
4.      Baby shampoo dabbed onto bites works great and if you give it time to dry it isn’t super messy.
5.      Ice cube, ice pack, or very cold water works wonders.
6.      Rubbing Alcohol dabbed onto bites helps.
7.      Vinegar dabbed onto bites or mixed into a bath can help… but it can also smell pretty terrible, it depends on how you feel about the smell of vinegar. 
8.      Calamine Lotion
9.      Vicks VapoRub
10.  Orajel dabbed onto bites seems to work pretty well too.
This list was created because I have absolutely no will power when it comes to scratching mosquito bites. Sad but true. If you are anything like me, once you know there is a mosquito bite somewhere it starts to itch like crazy and you cannot help but scratch that it. These little remedies work for me and I hope that one or two of these tricks do the trick for you too. 

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...