Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Soft Food Diet for Kids


Soft Foods for Kids


This week I am taking a break from my regular Tuesday recipe post and instead sharing with you something that I hope you find very useful. I am sharing my list of foods that I have been feeding my toddler who is on a soft food diet. This last week while taking care of my son after his adenoidectomy I had to create a whole new menu that had quite a few restrictions.

Toddlers can be finicky eaters to begin with… I am well aware of this. My oldest son is a picky eater and this does not make any severe change to his diet easy. Soft food diets are not easy, or at least it has been my experience that a soft food diet with a toddler is not a cake walk. We have had some ups and downs with soft food experimentation and I have had to be flexible with what my son is eating, just to make sure that he is getting enough to eat!

If you have a little one with dental work coming up, an adenoidectomy, or any other surgery that will require them to be on a soft food diet I hope you find my soft food diet suggestion list for kids helpful.

To Eat:
Yogurt {Go-gurt was the big hit in our home. It was easy to eat and my son loved the characters}
Pudding {chocolate or vanilla}
Soft Pears {peeled and sliced}
Watermelon {seedless}
Banana
Scrambled eggs {I add American cheese}
Slices of America Cheese
Macaroni and cheese
Ice Cream
Popsicles {We like the Dole real fruit ones}
Soft bread with jelly {crusts cut off}
Chicken noodle soup {There are all different kinds now with great noodles: Princess/Cars/Stars}
Blueberry muffins {soft}
Deli meat {we like Oscar Meyer Turkey-unseasoned}

To Drink:
Apple Juice
White grape juice
Water
Milk
Chocolate Milk
Hot cocoa {cooled so as not to burn throat}
Smoothie – my son likes fruit smoothies from Jamba Juice {He has not liked homemade smoothies thus far}

My son was not a fan of applesauce, but then he has never liked applesauce so this was not unexpected. He loves raw veggies, but does not like them cooked – so these were off of our list of possible foods to eat as well. But if your child likes cooked veggies broccoli, carrots, and potatoes would also be good to throw into the mix.

I was told by my doctor that my son needed to be on a soft food diet for two weeks after his adenoidectomy. We are following doctors’ orders and keeping with the restricted diet until after our post-operation check up. My fingers are crossed that he can be taken off this diet soon. He really misses eating crackers and carrots. This is just a simple soft food list that worked for my son as he recovered from surgery. Each child is different and their tastes are different. What works for my family may or may not work for yours, but it is a place to get started.

I hope this list of soft foods helps. If you have any other suggestions feel free to leave them in a comment below!


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...