Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Make Your Own Mexican Pizza #Recipe


I used to love eating the Taco Bell Mexican Pizzas. This was back when I was thin and didn’t worry about calories, how food was processed, or how much food cost {not that Taco Bell is expensive, but the cost of eating out does add up}. Now that I am no longer a DINK {double income no kid} household I find that I think about the cost of a meal, how the food in that meal is processed and prepared, and how many calories are in it. It also helps that making my own Mexican Pizzas at home is super simple. It is a very quick and easy dinner solution that tastes great.
  
Mexican Pizza Recipe Super Simple Dinner that everyone can customize #Recipe #WhatsForDinner #YUM



What you need:
1 lb chicken
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg flour tortilla {I use small taco size tortillas}
1 can refried beans {optional}
Shredded Mexican cheese
Sour Cream {or Greek Yogurt as a substitute}
Salsa
Avocado
Vegetable Oil

How to make it:
Cube the chicken and cook it on the stove in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
When the chicken is cooked through and has turned golden brown add the seasoning package and follow the package directions {this usually means adding water and letting it simmer for a bit}.
While the chicken is simmering fry the tortillas in a separate pan. Pour about ½ cup vegetable oil in a medium pan and heat over medium-high heat {be careful it is not too hot, you do not want to burn the tortillas}. The tortillas should turn golden brown on the underside. Once this is done flip the tortilla over to cook on the other side.
Bubbles tend to form when frying- you can poke them with a sharp knife while frying to let the air out.
When the tortilla is done cooking place it on a plate with a paper towel between each one to cool.
Once everything is done cooking you can begin the assembly.
I spread ¼ cup refried beans on the cooked tortilla then add 1 Tbsp salsa, ¼ cup chicken, and then I sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and add a dollop of sour cream -or- Greek yogurt and a few slices of avocado.


Mexican Pizza Recipe Super Simple Dinner that everyone can customize #Recipe #WhatsForDinner #YUM

Mexican Pizza Recipe Super Simple Dinner that everyone can customize #Recipe #WhatsForDinner #YUM


Part of the reason why I like to make my own Mexican Pizza is because I like to customize my meal and my children like to make it their own as well. Steven is a bit more adventurous and will try everything at least once without hesitation. William is not so adventurous, and he usually tends to stick to what he knows he likes. The kids like to help out in the kitchen and making their own pizzas was a big hit!

I have recently started enjoying beans. Prior to this last year I disliked beans completely. But now I am finding that I like them more and more, which is great since they are so good for you! I think it amazing how your tastes can completely change over time. So I like to change things up and constantly be trying new foods as well as foods that I previously abhorred. And I am glad that I do because the beans on this pizza were delicious.

This is a really quick and easy dinner that my whole family enjoys making and eating. It is a great alternative to taco night and takes about the same amount of time to create. I have tried baking the tortillas instead of frying them and I have to say that I am not a fan of the baked flour tortilla crust for this pizza – it ends up leaving a stale taste in my mouth. Maybe I have not tried baking them correctly. I would love to make this even healthier by finding an alternative to frying the tortillas, so if you have an idea I would love to hear it.

This recipe is linked up at Delicious Dish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy:


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...