Wednesday, November 5, 2014

#DIY Faux Nail Head Trimmed Cork Board

We recently turned our old laundry room into a mudroom complete with lockers. It is essentially our command center. It is where we enter and leave our home and so it is where all important information needs to be seen before we head out for the day. My husband was over the reality of having magnets and papers stuck all over the oven - so he requested that I find a cork board for our mudroom. I did not want an ordinary cork board. I wanted a nail head trim cork board that not only worked well, but also looked good. So I went to the store, bought a cork board {with a 40% off coupon}, some fabric, and some thumb tacks and I got to work!

DIY fabric covered cork board with a faux nail head trim #DIY #HomeDecor


What you need:
Cork Board
Adhesive Spray
1 ¼ Yard of Fabric
Thumb Tacks {I used 2 containers of cheap thumbtacks at Walmart for about $1 each}
Stapler with Staples


How to make it:
First off, iron your fabric. Make sure there are no creases or wrinkles – because they will irritate you to no end if you do not take care of them right from the start.

Spray the adhesive spray on the cork board to make it tacky so that the fabric will adhere to it.

Center the fabric over the corkboard and smooth out all wrinkles, bubbles, and creases. Make sure that you have enough fabric hanging over the edges to wrap around the back of the board {it should be about 2-3 inches of excess fabric}.

Next, start pushing in the thumbtacks. Go all the way around the corkboard where the board meets the wooden frame with the thumbtacks.

Once all the thumbtacks are in take the excess fabric hanging over the sides and wrap it around to the back of the board and using a regular stapler – staple the fabric in place.

Attach the hanging hooks that come with the cork board and you are ready to go!


DIY fabric covered cork board with a faux nail head trim #DIY #HomeDecor #WeekendProject

DIY fabric covered cork board with a faux nail head trim

DIY fabric covered cork board with a faux nail head trim #DIY #HomeDecor #FauxNailHeadTrim

DIY fabric covered cork board with a faux nail head trim #DIY #HomeDecor

DIY fabric covered cork board with a faux nail head trim #DIY #HomeDecor #FauxNailHeadTrim


I love my pretty cork board. The fabric covering was really easy to do and the faux nail head trim using thumbtacks looks fantastic. I got the idea to do this project from Chelsea at TwoTwenty One who made a fantastic corkboard with a geometric coral colored fabric and hot glue. Her project was pretty fantastic, so if you are looking for more ideas I would recommend checking her out. Unfortunately, my fabric would not adhere using the hot glue and adhesive spray method. So I took a more permanent approach with my stapler.

This is a great and inexpensivce project that can be done in one day. The cork board I bought at Hobby Lobby for $8.99 {thanks to a 40% off coupon}, the fabric cost me $5, and the thumbtacks cost me $1 per container – with a total of 2 containers used. The grand total for this project was $15.99. This was super easy to do and it looks great.

What do you think of my faux nail head trimmed cork board? Are you a weekend warrior who likes to take on a good DIY project? If so, what was your last DIY project?



Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...