Thursday, January 12, 2012

CrockPot Jambalaya Recipe

I love Jambalaya and I love this recipe. Whenever I make it, I make the full batch and then freeze the leftovers to eat as quick and easy dinners later on throughout the month. It is super easy to make and tastes phenomenal. 



Servings: 8
Preperation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 Hours

What you need:
  • 1 pounds boneless skinless chicken {I use leftover cooked chicken from the night before}
  • 1 pound turkey sausage, cut into 2-inch slices  
  • 1 bag of extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole spice mix
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 3/4 cups rice {I use Minute Rice and cook it in the microwave before adding it to the Jambalaya}
Make it:
1.   Combine the chicken, the turkey sausage, the chopped onion, the chopped green pepper, the chopped celery, the can of diced tomatoes {with juice}, the minced garlic, the chicken broth, the Cajun {or Creole} spice mix, the thyme, and the oregano in a large {5-quart} slow cooker.
2.   Cook on low for 5 hours.
3.   30 minutes before you are ready to eat add the peeled and deveined shrimp and the COOKED rice and raise the heat to high. {COOK the rice before you add it or you will be eating uncooked rice}

Step by Step Crockpot Jambalaya

Rating: ****

The first time I made this I did not pre cook the rice and I wound up with uncooked rice. It put me in a sour mood and did not go over well with the rest of the family either. I put everything back in the CrockPot and let it go for a couple more hours… it was edible but the shrimp ended up chewy. So I scratched that batch and made some changes. The end result turned out delicious and is my husband’s new favorite CrockPot meal.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family has, Bon Appetite!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...