Monday, April 1, 2013

Climbing out of the crib!

This last week I took both of my boys to visit their grandparents for spring break.  When we visit my parents I usually sleep in one room and I set up my youngest in another room right next door. He sleeps in a pack and play with a video monitor so that I can keep an eye on him. My oldest usually sleeps in the rooms with me or camps out on Grammy and Poppy’s floor.  This is the typical arrangement and has been for the last couple of years.

This trip was a little different. On the very first night there my youngest woke up in the middle of the night, climbed out of his pack and play, and headed for Grammy and Poppy’s room.  He has never climbed out of a crib or pack and play before… His brother never climbed out either. I was at a bit of a loss as to what brought this on and what this would mean for the future. One thing was for sure; there would be no more sleeping in separate rooms at my parent’s house with my little escape artist.

The pack and play was moved to my room and for the remainder of our spring break the little guy and I were roommates. Nap times brought on more escapes from the pack and play and our routine for sleeping was slowly changing. YIKES! I was so not ready for this as my first born never tried to climb out of anything.

climbing out of the crib


Once home I quickly realized that this whole climbing out of things was not being restricted to just the pack and play at my parents home. Oh no. Little man was climbing out of his crib every time I turned around. How he went about it was quite comical, as he took everything out of his crib to create a soft landing pad. Pillow, blanket, and Moo Cow were all tossed overboard so that he would not hurt himself when he landed rump first on the other side. Then he wanders the room for a minute {just in case anyone heard him drop} and then he makes a break for the door.

This fabulous {note the sarcasm} new talent of his means that we are changing up our bedtime routine while we wait for his new big boy bed to come. We ordered his big boy bed almost 7 weeks ago and were told it would take 4-8 weeks to receive it. Now that little man is climbing out of his crib we are more than ready to make the transition to the new bed! Can you tell that I am on pins and needles waiting for my son’s new bedroom set? We have had the sheets and bedding ordered and in house for a couple weeks now just waiting for the new bed.

So what am I doing differently now that he can climb out? Well… My husband who is so much better at being the disciplinarian has set up an action/consequences routine where my little guy gets items taken away each time he climbs out. It starts with Moo Cow and ends with the pacifier {yeah I know… we need to get rid of the pacifier anyways!}. If everything is taken away and he has nothing left my husband has a talk and tells him that he means business and if he wants everything back he needs to lie down and sleep in his room. I am terrible at this. All I want to do is cuddle and snuggle until he is sleepy and then tuck him in. My hubby tells me that this is not a good habit to get into. I am trying really hard to not give in and just lie down with the kids… it doesn’t help that I am crazy hormonal and suffering from pregnancy exhaustion. I am a work in progress.

Until the new bed arrives I guess we will just try to establish this new routine in the hopes that he will stop climbing out of his crib. I have full faith that it will work, it is just difficult for all parties involved.

Did your kids ever climb out of their crib?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...