Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Rock Bottom inspired Cajun Fish Tacos Recipe


In case you missed it, I love fish tacos. This was not always the case and in fact it took me quite a while to warm up to the idea of even trying a fish taco. For some reason fish tacos has been a major craving of mine throughout this pregnancy and I cannot get enough of them.

I had a mom’s night out with a friend of mine at Rock Bottom and had a chance to try their Cajun Fish Tacos… They were really good. They were spicy, but not too spicy. They had a crisp clean flavor that I knew if I put my mind to I could recreate at home. Needless to say that I got busy in my kitchen trying out some different spices and rubs trying to get the perfect copycat Rock Bottom recipe for Cajun fish tacos.

Rock Bottom Inspired Cajun Fish Taco Recipe

After much ado, I think that I have hit the jackpot! I could not get enough of these tacos and will be making them again very soon! – This just might be my Cinco de Mayo dinner plan. I made a black bean and avocado salsa to accompany these tacos, but did not eat much – as this taco is VERY filling. I could barely eat two of them! The salsa was also amazing, and I will share that recipe soon. But first thing is first - you will need to know how to cook the cajun catfish that is the KEY to making this delicious taco. So here you go!

Cajun Blackened Fish Recipe

What you need for the Cajun Catfish Rub:
2 boneless catfish fillets
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black ground pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 stick of butter or ½ cup vegetable oil {for cooking}

How to make it the Cajun Catfish:
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Coat the boneless catfish fillets with the rub {I like to gently rub it in}
Set aside and let rest for a couple minutes while you heat the butter or oil in a nonstick skillet over medium/high heat.
Place fillets in the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.

cajun rub

This recipe can produce a bit of smoke {nothing crazy, but there will be some smoke} – so make sure that you are working near a good vent. The Cajun Catfish is delicious enough to eat all by itself without turning it into a taco. If I were to prepare the Cajun Catfish as a main course by itself I would serve it with a side of wild rice, some broccoli slaw, and a dollop of ramoulade sauce. But since this post is all about the Rock Bottom Cajun Fish Tacos I will continue with the recipe and share with you how I made my tacos.

Rock Bottom Copycat Cajun Fish Tacos

What you need for the
Rock Bottom Inspired Cajun Fish Tacos:
2 cooked Cajun catfish fillets
Shredded pepper jack cheese
Shredded lettuce
Crispy corn tortillas
Soft flour tortillas
Ramoulade Sauce
Pico de Gallo

How to make it the
Rock Bottom Inspired Cajun Fish Tacos:
Take the soft flour tortilla and place the crispy corn tortilla inside of it.
Layer the shredded lettuce, pepper jack cheese, and Cajun catfish fillets {I broke up the catfish fillets into bite size pieces for easy layering/eating}.
Spoon a little Pico de Gallo and Ramoulade over the top of the lettuce, cheese, and fish.
Eat!

The soft flour tortilla acts as a means of catching all the juicy deliciousness that falls through the crispy corn tortilla shell once it cracks. It keeps this dish from being a hot mess and is probably a big reason as to why this is such a filling taco. It has a spicy kick to it, but it’s not overpowering. It is a clean flavor that completely hits the spot.

I thought this was a pretty easy dinner to prepare and it did not make too much of a mess in my kitchen. I love these tacos and my hubby was a big fan too. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.


Have you ever tried to mimic a recipe from a restaurant at home?



This recipe is linked up at Delicious Dish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy:


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...