Tuesday, April 15, 2014

One Dish Dinner with the Hot Ham & Cheese Casserole #Recipe


I love a good casserole. Anything that can be thrown together to create a simple yet delicious meal is a win in my books. This hot ham and cheese casserole completely hits the spot. It is cheesy, creamy, and savory. By using gnocchi instead of noodles it is hearty as well. It reminds me of a pot pie, but it is so much better in my opinion. It is a great one dish dinner that the whole family can enjoy.

One Dish Dinner with the Hot Ham & Cheese Casserole #Recipe #OneDish #YUM #Foodie

What you need:
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup diced onion
1 ham steak, diced
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1 package gnocchi
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheese (I used Pepper Jack for a kick, but Monterey Jack would be good as well.)

How to make it:
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the diced onions to the skillet and cook until soft and translucent.
Add the diced ham and continue to cook until the ham has browned a bit.
Next add the chicken broth and water and bring to a simmer.
When the mixture is simmering you can add in the gnocchi. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes covered until the gnocchi is cooked.
Toss in the peas, heavy whipping cream, and salt and pepper.
Toss everything into an oven safe dish and then sprinkle the cheese over top. Broil until the cheese has melted and turned golden {about 4 minutes}.

One Dish Dinner with the Hot Ham & Cheese Casserole #Recipe #OneDish #YUM #Foodie

One Dish Dinner with the Hot Ham & Cheese Casserole #Recipe #OneDish #YUM #Foodie


I have quickly become a fan of the frozen section of my grocery when it comes to veggies. If I know that I am going to be crunched for time I will pick up some frozen diced onion to save on time slicing and dicing. I love fresh veggies, but there are days when I do not have the time or inclination to stand in my kitchen crying over onions… because no matter what I try I always cry when chopping onions. This recipe is my go to for a quick and hearty meal that requires very little effort. By using frozen peas and frozen diced onions I save even more time!

I love the combination of ham and cheese and in this recipe the addition of the gnocchi kicks it up a notch. I used Pepper Jack cheese for a kick, but if you do not like a lot of spice or are planning on feeding picky eaters I would use a Monterey Jack cheese instead. The Pepper Jack cheese was a little too spicy for my little boys, but my husband and I loved it. So be conscious of this when making this recipe.

This recipe is linked up at Delicious Dish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy

 Are you a casserole person, and if so – what is your favorite?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...