Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Keeping dinner light with Thai Shrimp Noodles #Recipe


I have been on a real seafood kick since my pregnancy with baby Julia. Each baby has altered my taste buds quite a bit. With William I stopped going for the sugary sweet, with Steven I started avoiding red meat, and now with baby Julia I have started to lean towards the spicier foods and seafood. This Thai Shrimp Noodle recipe satisfies the seafood craving as well as the spicy craving {don’t worry it isn’t too spicy}. This is a pretty healthy dinner recipe that is filling and filled with some tasty vegetables as well.

Shrimp THAI Noodle Recipe: Quick and Easy Dinner #Seafood #Recipe #Healthy

What you need:
8 ounces uncooked flat rice noodles (pad Thai noodles)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek (chili paste)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 green pepper sliced
1/2 cup onion sliced
1/4 cup carrot sliced (I use my peeler so that the carrots are really thin)
8 ounces peeled and deveined large shrimp  
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts

How to make it:
Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.

Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lemon juice, and Sambal Oelek in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.

Add onion pieces, green pepper slices, carrot slices, shrimp, and garlic to the skillet and stir-fry 2 minutes or until shrimp is almost done.

Next add the cooked noodles, bean sprouts, and sauce mixture. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly to combine.

Dig in and enjoy!

Shrimp THAI Noodle sauce Recipe: Quick and Easy Dinner #Seafood #Recipe #Healthy

Shrimp THAI Noodle Recipe: Quick and Easy Dinner #Seafood #Recipe #Healthy

Shrimp THAI Noodle Recipe: Quick and Easy Dinner #Seafood #Recipe #Healthy

Shrimp THAI Noodle Recipe: Quick and Easy Dinner #Seafood #Recipe #Healthy

Sambal Oelek (ground fresh chili paste) has quickly become one of my go to ingredients in the kitchen. I happened upon it in the ethnic aisle at my grocery store and have been finding new ways to use it in old recipes ever since. It adds heat to a dish without overwhelming it. It is delicious.

My husband and I really enjoy this dish. It has become a quick and easy healthy dinner solution on those nights that I want to put together a meal without much fuss. Since the noodles take about 8 minutes and the shrimp doesn’t take long to cook, this meal can usually be completed in about a half hour. And since there is not a heavy cream or sauce used with this meal, it is a pretty light dish that sits well and doesn’t put us into a food coma.

I have become more and more adventurous in the kitchen lately and am loving the new recipes that are coming out of my experimentation. Some have been ho hum, but with a little tweaking most have turned out pretty good if I say so myself – which I do. I love it when my family enjoys my recipes, it makes trying something new fun!

This recipe is linked up at DeliciousDish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy:

Do you like to experiment with recipes or do you follow directions to the letter?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...