Friday, August 23, 2013

The BEST Homemade Playdough: with Kool-Aid & sparkle #DIY #CraftsForKids


My friend Julie made this playdough at her house on a recent play-date and although it didn’t turn out perfectly the first time we tried it {due to a missing ingredient}, by the second attempt it was some of the best playdough my kids have ever played with. Our old moon dough was getting pretty bad, so this was perfect timing for a cooking project for the kiddos to do at home.

After a quick check in my cupboard I was not surprised to discover that a trip to the grocery store was in order, as I do not usually purchase Kool-Aid.  I also picked up more cream of tartar, since I knew I would need more of that as well. Once our shopping trip was through the kids and I were ready to get cooking!

The Best Homemade Playdough with Kool-Aid

What you need:
1 Cup flour
1 Cup water
1/4 Cup salt
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon Cream of tartar
1 Teaspoon Glitter
1 Unsweetened packet of Kool-Aid

How to Make It:
In a medium pan mix all ingredients together.
Continuously stir over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken. You will need to keep the mixture moving so it doesn’t burn and to avoid clumps.
Stir until the dough pulls away from the sides {It should form a ball easily}.
Remove dough from heat and let it cool.
Knead the dough once cool to work out little clumps of flour.
Repeat process for each color of playdough you want.

The Best Homemade Playdough with Kool-Aid tutorial

The Best Homemade SPARKLE Playdough with Kool-Aid tutorial

I made one batch of homemade Kool-Aid playdough for each color. The kids loved this activity. They got really into the cooking of the playdough and enjoyed helping me measure and add ingredients. Once everything was cooked we spent days {yes DAYS} playing with our homemade playdough.

This playdough is easily the best homemade playdough I have ever made and I attribute that to the fact that it uses Kool-Aid to dye the playdough instead of food coloring. Because we used Kool-Aid the playdough also smelled phenomenal. The purple playdough smelled like grapes and the yellow playdough smelled like lemonade {and the snozberries smell like snozberries}… you know you were thinking of the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory quote too! If you want your playdough to smell great, use the Kool-Aid to dye it.

Because we added glitter to our playdough it is even more special for my children. They like the sparkle and I have to say that although I am not typically a fan of glitter {as it gets EVERYWHERE and is impossible to ever truly clean up} I like the glitter playdough too. Because some days you just need a little sparkle.

My son plaing with the Best Homemade SPARKLE Playdough with Kool-Aid

My son plaing with the Best Homemade SPARKLE Playdough ninjas

Best Homemade Sparkle Playdough with Kool-Aid tutorial


Have you ever made homemade playdough?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...