Monday, November 21, 2011

Dress Code for a Housewife

As a stay at home mom I have the luxury of spending the entire day in a baggy pair of sweatpants and an oversized tee shirt if I so choose. Unfortunately, when I do this nothing around the house seems to get done.

I have found that if I dress like a slob, I act like a slob.

When I spend my morning in men’s clothing (big and baggy comfortable clothes that scream NOT FEMININE) I tend to get lazy. The dishes sit in the sink. The laundry doesn’t get folded. I make leftovers for dinner. The kids and I stay indoors all day long just hanging out and playing with toys. This can be fun every once in a while, but not every day.

If my husband comes home for lunch and sees me in sweatpants he will jokingly ask me if I have given up on life. If I am not getting ready to exercise and sweat in my sweatpants, this is great motivation for me to get off my lazy bum and get dressed in real people clothes for the day.

I have found that if I want to be productive I need to dress for success. Sounds silly right? How much of a difference can wearing womens clothing really make? Well… For me wearing womens clothing (fitted and stylish casual clothes that are feminine and fun) make the world of difference.

When I wake up in the morning and get myself and the kids dressed for the day we seem to get more out of the day. I think feeling good about myself makes me want to do more. I have heard that you should dress for the life that you want, not the life that you have. I have found this to be true, at least in my life.

If I am having an exceptionally lazy day where I feel completely unmotivated, I picture the stereotype of a housewife. A woman wearing her pajamas at three in the afternoon eating bon bons and watching television. This is so not my life! With two children, a toddler and a baby, I do not get to indulge in such frivolous behavior. My children won’t change their own diapers and feed themselves!  


What not to wear? Unless I want to be an underproductive coach potato, the answer is simple. The sweatpants have got to go.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...