Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Gift of Time

Chronograph Watch
I have been spending a lot of time lately thinking about what to get my husband for Christmas or for an anniversary gift. This December we will be celebrating our five year wedding anniversary. Traditionally, the five year wedding anniversary gift is something made of wood. Unfortunately for me, I am at a complete loss as to what my husband would like that is made out of wood. Then I started to think about gifts for men in general. What makes a good gift?

A good gift is both thoughtful and useful. When I am purchasing something for someone I try to make it personal, something that they have mentioned needing or wanting. If someone collects something, chances are getting them something to go with their collection is a no brainer. But what about buying something for someone who has it all?

My husband always says that he is an adult, and adults should not buy Christmas presents for other adults. Bah humbug! I love gift giving. I love searching for and finding that perfect present to give to someone I care about. I also LOVE opening presents. Needless to say, I am on a mission to find the perfect present for my husband.

When I am in need of a good brainstorming session I usually call my parents. So yesterday I called my mother and discussed gifts. My mother told me that one of my father’s favorite gifts that he ever received was a watch from my mother.

My father has a gold watch that he has worn for as long as I can remember. It is not a simple watch. In fact my father is quite picky about his watches. His favorite types of watch to wear are chronograph watches. They tell you everything you need to know at a glance, measuring time in several different ways.

Why is this watch so special? The watch was a personal gift from my mother to my father; a way to say “I love you and good luck.” It was also a functional gift. When my father was given this gift he was starting a new job as a business manager for a school district and needed to be on time. He was constantly heading out the door for school board meetings, business meetings, and school functions. The watch was a necessity.

In a day and age when cell phones are the new watch is a watch still a good gift? With both Christmas and an anniversary right around the corner, would a watch make a personal and thoughtful gift for my husband?

My husband is a man who is always on time. He prides himself on never being late. Would he take offense to receiving a watch as a gift? Would he appreciate the thoughtfulness of a watch as gift?

My husband is always heading out the door to work, meetings, and events. It is definitely an appropriate gift that serves a function. It is something that he doesn’t already own. And since it would be an anniversary gift from me, his wife, it would be personal as well. I think a watch would make a great thoughtful and useful anniversary gift. Now to find the perfect one...


Http://MomMart.blogspot.com

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...