Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fakesgiving

Happy Fakesgiving
I know that the title of this post might be throwing some of you off. Don’t worry; this is not a negative post about Thanksgiving. In fact, it is just the opposite.

I am a huge family oriented person. My family members are my best friends. I talk to my parents and/or one of my siblings daily. I try and get together with my family whenever time and proximity allow.

The problem arises that once you are married or in a serious relationship, it is no longer all about your family. You now have to take another person and their family into consideration. As a result, my husband and I have come to an agreement to split the holidays. If one family got us one year for Thanksgiving, then the other family would get us for Thanksgiving the next. We have agreed to use this system for pretty much all holidays; and so far it has worked out pretty nicely. And then someone got the bright idea to do an early Thanksgiving… a Fakesgiving.

AWESOME!!!

This fabulous idea allowed for both my husband and I to spend one of the biggest American family holidays with each of our families. We did not have to neglect one family for the holiday, nor did we feel like we spent the entire time in the car driving from one family to the next. It was the perfect compromise. Since I love my husband’s family just as much as I love my own {I know, crazy right? – but they are truly great people – I totally lucked out!} this was the perfect!

This new tradition was started last year when family from out of town chose to fly home for a visit before Thanksgiving. We decided that this would be a great opportunity to get together and see everyone and celebrate Thanksgiving while everyone was in town. Thus Fakesgiving was born.  We had Turkey with all the trimmings. The kids all played together and the adults all sat around chatting and talking about how full they were.  It was perfect.

Then when November 25, 2010 rolled around, we headed down south to spend Thanksgiving Day with my family. We had Turkey with all the trimmings. The kids all played together and the adults all sat around chatting and talking about how full they were.  It was perfect. J

I am a huge fan of Fakesgiving! This Fake Thanksgiving enables my little family to have not one, but two Thanksgivings. I get to see not one family, but both extended families! My children get to see all of their cousins, aunts, and uncles. It is double the pleasure and double the fun.

Guess what I am doing this weekend? I am celebrating Fakesgiving this weekend! My husband’s extended family is coming to visit and we are going to spend the weekend having our very own Fake Thanksgiving. There will be Turkey with all the trimmings. The kids will all get to play together and the adults will all get to sit around chatting and talking about how full they are.  It will be perfect.

When November 24, 2011 rolls around this year we will do it all again with my side of the family.

http://mommart.blogspot.com/

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...