Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Vegetable Tortellini #Recipe

This pregnancy has me craving veggies like it’s no one’s business and I have been looking for fun ways to eat them. I saw a picture of spinach and tomato pasta in cream sauce that looked delicious and so I decided earlier this week to raid my vegetable compartment in my fridge and make myself a little Vegetable Tortellini Medley.

It was pretty simple to make and was even better reheated on the stove {microwaving this meal to eat as leftovers causes the sauce to separate and is not nearly as tasty… seriously take the little bit of extra time and toss it in a pan to heat on the stove if you are going to eat this as leftovers}. I used the mixture of veggies I had on hand, but I am sure that this recipe will lend itself to tweaking quite nicely.

Vegetable Tortellini Recipe

What you need:
8 oz package of cheese tortellini
1 lb of chicken breast, cooked & chopped into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoons olive oil
1 Lemon Zest
1 bell pepper, chopped {I also used the last of my red pepper as well}
8 oz of mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch of fresh spinach, cut off the stems
1 bunch of fresh asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
Pinch of salt,
Pinch of pepper
Alfredo Sauce {I used my Alfredo sauce recipe}

How to Make It:
Cook cheese tortellini according to package directions
Cook chicken in a pot with olive oil. Once chicken has cooled, cut into bite-size pieces and cut up into bite-size pieces.
Add the sliced mushrooms, peppers, and asparagus into the same pot that you used to cook the chicken in order to soak up the flavor from the chicken.  Sauté the veggies in the pan until tender {about 8 minutes over medium heat}.
In a large pan make the Alfredo Sauce and add the lemon zest.
Add the salt, pepper, and spinach to the sauce.
Add the sautéed veggies and chicken to the sauce mixture.
Add the chicken to the sauce mixture and stir to combine all the ingredients together.
Add the drained tortellini to the mixture.
Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes before serving.

how to make vegetable tortellini in Alfredo Sauce

I serve this with a slice of garlic bread and a smile. It is so delicious and so easy to make. Clean up was not bad either. My husband loved this dish and gobbled up the leftovers before I had a chance to devour them myself. Needless to say we will be eating this again very soon. I think next time I will add tomatoes as well.

The veggie medley was so good that I don’t think that you necessarily HAVE to have a meat in this dish. It was hearty enough without the chicken, but my hubby loves chicken – so it went into the mixture. Feel free to tweak this to suite your family, and enjoy!


What is your favorite vegetable to eat in a pasta dish?


This recipe is linked up at Delicious Dish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy:
Friday Food FrenzyFull Time Mama






Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...