Friday, March 22, 2013

Kid Craft: How to make Bath Crayons!

I have bought bath crayons and almost immediately thrown them away because they created such a mess. I am talking hard to clean mess that left my pretty white bathtub stained green and blue and red… Needless to say I was not happy.


While shopping for some arts and crafts supplies online I happened upon glycerin soap and remembered a recipe a friend gave me for bath crayons. I have been wanting to make some homemade bath crayons for the kids to play with for a while now and have simply been too busy to get to the store for the supplies that I needed. I wanted to make bath crayons that would not stain or leave a big mess. So I clicked a button and bought some glycerin soap for our project.

How to Make Homemade Bath Crayons
 
What you need:
Glycerin Soap (I bought the transparent kind online but you can find some at an arts and crafts store and usually can use a coupon to get it for half off)
Food Coloring 
Mold {I prefer to use the silicone molds becaue it is easier to remove once done, but you can use ice cube trays, muffin tins, or cups as well.

How to make it:
Cut the glycerin soap into small squares.
Put the glycerin soap squares into a microwave safe measuring cup or bowl for 30 seconds. {yes the packaging says 45 seconds, but that is really too much and can discolor the glycerin soap.}
Take it out and stir it. Microwave again at 15 second intervals if needed. 
Once the soap is entirely melted, add the food coloring to the liquid soap and stir.
After you have mixed the color with the melted soap pour it into the mold {or whatever tray you are using}.
Set aside to let the soap cool down and set for an hour before popping it out of the tray.

Making Homemade Bath Crayons with Glycerin

Bath Crayon Mold

Silicone Bath Crayon Mold

Homemade Bath Crayons

I originally thought about making the soap all on my own and just letting the kids play with the crayons in the tub. But the boys really love to help me in the kitchen and they adore mixing things and making projects, so the making of the homemade bath crayons was a project in and of itself for the boys. The kids had a lot fun experimenting with colors and mixing the soap.

This was a super easy project to make and the cleanup was ridiculously easy. I will NEVER buy bath crayons again. Seriously. These are essentially colored soap, so they clean up easily and the kids are helping to clean while they are playing. Can it get any better than that? The boys were super excited to play with them in the tub too!

Bath Crayon Fun!


Do you make your own craft supplies {crayons, chalk, paint}?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...