Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Laughter and life in a laundry basket…

My son WilliamMy son Steven

When my children were born they both spent the first couple of weeks living in a laundry basket. I put a pillow in the bottom of a laundry basket and covered it with a baby blanket. I used the laundry basket to carry my children all over the house. They slept in their laundry basket cribs for the first couple weeks of their lives and loved it!

We did not have a mosses basket or a portable basinet that I could cart around the house all day long. Since we had a perfectly good crib as well as a pack-n-play I simply could not justify purchasing another contraption that would only be used for a month or two. We made do with what we had.

I was {and I still am} a very active mother and sitting in one place too long makes me itch. My children and I do not stay in one room of the house for very long. When the boys were babies and needed to be carried from place to place while napping a laundry basket was the quickest, easiest, and least expensive mode of transportation. Being shuffled around in the basket meant that sleep was not disturbed and I had my hands free to get things done around the house. It was a win-win situation.

Now that the boys are bigger {3 years-old and 1 year-old} they still cannot seem to get enough of our laundry baskets. There must be something really cool about climbing inside a laundry basket that I am just too big to fathom. I have no idea why laundry baskets fascinate my children, but they do. Both of the boys cannot seem to help themselves. If there is a basket to climb in, they are in it!

Fun in a laundry basket

Every laundry day turns into a laundry basket free for all in my home and the children are the ringleaders of our little three ring circus. If I have folded the laundry and placed it in the baskets they do not remain nice and neat for long. Laundry baskets get turned into robots, spaceships, hiding spots, and go carts in my home. Thank goodness I own some sturdy laundry baskets!

I am always interested and amused by my children’s imaginations. They find new and exciting ways to entertain themselves every day. I am just lucky enough to be able to bear witness… sometimes I even get to play along.


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...