Friday, January 11, 2013

Kid Craft: Home Made Slime Activity


How to make Homemade Slime

I have been racking my brain trying to think of some fun things to do with the children indoors now that the weather has turned chilly. While there is no snow on the ground, and yet it is still too cold and windy for outdoor play. This means that the kids and I are trapped inside a lot…. This usually spells trouble.

In order to avoid cabin fever and children bouncing off the walls I have decided to turn one day a week into craft a day. We will be working our way through a list of crafts and activities. I will then come back here and share them with you. At the end we will chose our favorites and create a boredom jar out of all of the crafts and recipes {free boredom jar printable to follow}. 

This week we made homemade slime.  I have two little boys, so slime was a HUGE success in our house. We even saved it to show to daddy once he got home from work.  The slime was super easy to make and surprisingly not that messy. Clean up consisted of washing two bowls and two spoons and sweeping the floor {which kind of needed it anyways – toddlers are messy eaters}. Here is the recipe...
Slime Recipe:
1 teaspoon of Borax
1 ½ Cups of water {divided into 1 cup and ½ cup}
1 container glue {I used a 4 oz bottle of clear Elmer’s glue}
Bowl for mixing

Directions:
Mix 1 teaspoon of Borax in one cup of water and set it aside.
Pour glue into a bowl and add ½ cup water.
Add food coloring of choice
Stir the glue/water/food coloring solution until smooth. 
Pour the borax mixture into the glue mixture and stir. The mixture will soon thicken and be ready for play.


Make Homemade Slime: Kid Craft

Our homemade slime was a big success. The kids loved it and it was not hard to make, play with, or clean up. This activity will definitely be on our go-to list of indoor activities. I got this recipe from a crafty friend of mine and like it a lot. The slime was not too runny and it did not turn my kitchen into a disaster area or my children into giant sticky gooey messes.

I have heard about glow and the dark slime and think that might be a lot of fun to try, I just worry about what exactly is making it glow… know what I mean? I will need to research that one before too long.

Kid Craft: Playing with homemade slime.Kid Craft: Playing with homemade slime.


What do you do to keep your kids entertained when you are stuck indoors?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...