Thursday, December 8, 2011

Baby its cold outside: Crockpot Turkey Chili & Recipe!

chili

Turkey chili recipe you say with a questioning expression? Why in the world would someone use turkey in their chili? My husband has decided that he will no longer eat red meat. Goodbye steak dinners, goodbye cheeseburgers, goodbye tacos, goodbye meatball subs, and hello turkey!

I was skeptical at first, having come from a family where meat red meat was served on a platter with a side of potatoes. My mother did not make turkey meat loaf, she made real meat loaf. When my father is in charge of dinner the whole meal is the meat (he has a tendency to forget silly things like side dishes – vegetables-).

Needless to say the idea of turkey as a red meat substitute did not sound appetizing. I tried being sneaky with the meal planning and made a meal with red meat instead of turkey meat and my husband refused to eat it *stinker*! So I decided that I would give turkey meat a try since my husband was going to be so stubborn about this issue. Please note that my husband usually lets everything roll right off of his back, so the fact that he was raising such a stink about this sent up red flags to me that this issue was important to him and I needed to compromise. So we tried turkey meat…

I am still on the fence about cheeseburgers. Although I have an awesome recipe for turkey burgers (which I will share the next time I make them and can take pictures), I still love a good old fashioned cheeseburger! Surprisingly the turkey meatballs, turkey tacos, and turkey chili tasted better than the red meat alternative. Crazy, right? So without further ado I will share with you my Turkey Chili Crockpot Recipe.

Preperation Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 6-8 hours and 15-20 minutes
Servings: 6-8 servings

What you need:
·         1 lb of ground turkey meat
·         1 can of diced tomatoes (28 oz) {undrained}
·         1 can of condensed tomato soup (15 oz)
·         1 can of kidney or pinto beans (15 oz) {drained and rinsed}
·         1 onion (chopped)
·         1 green pepper (chopped)
·         2 cloves garlic (chopped) {or you can use 1 Tbsp of the squeeze garlic}
·         2 Tbsp chili powder
·         2 tsp ground cumin
·         ½ tsp salt
·         ½ tsp pepper
·         OPTIONAL Shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream to sprinkle on top {yummy}

Cook It:

Making Chili
Chop up the onion and green pepper and cook them in a medium skillet with the ground turkey over a medium heat for about 7-10 minutes. Stir ocassionally so that all  of the meat gets cooked, drain. You can use ground beef or italian sausage instead of ground turkey- this is just the healthier version.

Pour the turkey onion green pepper mixture into the crockpot and combine with the diced tomatoes, tomato soup, beans, garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, salt, and pepper.

Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.

Serve with a spinkle of shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream if so desired. I highly recommend the cheese, but then again I love cheese.

Whenever it starts to get cold outside I cook chili. For some reason chili is my go to comfort food for the winter blues. Although I know that it is not officially winter yet, it is starting to get cold and the forecast is predicting snow. So grab your Crockpot and get cracking!

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as me, Bon Appetite!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...