Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Making my house a home.


I love this time of year. People are nice to one another, there is a general excitement in the air, and I get to decorate my home with beautiful holiday décor! The holidays cannot begin for me until my home feels like Christmas! I do not go overboard with holiday décor. I just add little splashes of holiday cheer throughout my home. I feel like these little touches are what transforms a house into a home, personalization.

I want my home to feel like a home. Before I had children my furniture and decorating style consisted of hand me downs that I got from family and friends. As much as I appreciate these gifts, these were not items that I chose for myself. Therefore they did not reflect me or my style. This didn’t really start to bother me until I became a stay at home mom.

Before I became a stay at home mom I was a Pre-K teacher and I was rarely home. When I was home I was too exhausted to care what color the couch was or weather the rug went with the wall color. Then I became a stay at home mom and *poof* the blinders came off and I took a good long look at my home and cringed.

Great interior decorating starts off with a beautiful backdrop. I spent a long time finding those perfect pieces. My rule of thumb for interior decorating is this; if you love it, buy it. I have found that when I find something that I love I should buy it right then and there because it might not be there when I go back for it. This has happened to me multiple times and I continue to kick myself when I make the mistake of doing this. If you get it home and hate it, you can always return it!

My home is a direct reflection of myself. I try to keep my home nice and neat. Most of the time I can keep up with my chaotic life! While at other times my home is strewn with toy trains and dinosaurs. Either way, my home is well lived in and well loved.


My artwork consists of places I love. My furniture is comfortable, functional, and stylish. My holiday decorations are simple and in good taste. My house feels like a home. I would love to hear your tips and trick on how you make your house a home.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...