Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Being a Champion for Kids with Energizer: Light Up a Life! #ChampionsForKids

Energizer CFK

Last week, I mentioned that I was taking part in the Champions for Kids, Energizer Light Up a Life simple service project.  The Champions for Kids mission is to mobilize millions of people by providing training and resources to improve the lives of children. They encourage people to make simple care kits for kids, then give the care kits to an organization in your community that serves children (like a school, shelter, religious organization, or nonprofit).

To get ready for this project I sat down with my children and brainstormed what we wanted to include in our care kits. We thought about what items we use daily and what items make us feel safe. We also went online to the Hesed House website to see what items they had an immediate need for, so that we would be sure to include them in our care kit.

My children and I headed off to Walmart with our immediate need list in hand to look for different items to fill our care kit with.  If you would like to see our complete shopping trip, head over to my photo album on Google+ .

Walmart

EnergizerEnergizer

Travel Size

We were able to get Energizer flashlights, Energizer batteries, wet ones, diapers, baby wipes, travel shampoo, tooth brushes, and more for out care kits! This shopping trip was such a success that we took a ride on Dumbo in the play area at Walmart before heading to Hesed House to donate our care kits.

Donating our Care Kits

Every night at bedtime my son and I say our prayers and each and every night my son thanks God for our friends, our family, and our home. I told my son that we were going to create a care kit for kids and we talked about different reasons why people might need a care kits. The idea of children not having a home really struck a chord with my son, so we decided that we wanted to make our care kit for a local homeless shelter.

Hesed House

I chose the Hesed House for a number of reasons. Hesed House's philosophy is to meet today's needs of the underprivileged and underserved and to work toward systemic solutions that prevent future problems from occurring. In 1995, Hesed House led the nation in the movement to petition its legislative leaders to make it mandatory for schools to education homeless children and provide bus transportation to and from their schools.


Doing something as simple as donating a care kit may sound like a small thing, but for children who do not know where they are going to sleep at night or where their next meal is coming from, a care kit can make a difference. Simply knowing that someone cares about them and their well being helps to boost self confidence and strengthen their resolve. You can make a difference! I encourage you to research your local homeless shelters and find out how you can give back.

I am thankful to have been a part of the Energizer Light Up a Life Champions for Kids campaign. I appreciate being a part in this experience and love that I am able to show my children that they can make a difference in the lives of others, no matter how big or small.

To learn more about Champions for Kids visit them on Twitter, Facebook, or visit their Website.
To learn more about Energizer visit them on Twitter, Facebook, or visit their Website
Follow along on Twitter at #EnergizerCFK and #ChampionsForKids.

This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias.  All the thoughts and opinions are my own.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...