Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Two little boys and a cart: Fun times shopping with two children!

I worried that having two children and trying to grocery shop was going to be impossible. I know other women do it all the time – heck my mother had five kids! But if I am being perfectly honest, I know my limits and two screaming children in a grocery store is not my idea of a good time.

I would get these mental images of pushing the cart with my baby sitting in front while chasing my toddler who is running rampant throughout the store. My toddler loves to run and hide. He loves to play hide and seek. He loves to run free. This is not fun for mommy.

My husband does a majority of the grocery shopping on the weekends now that we have two children. It is just easier for one of us to stay at home with the kids while the other does the shopping. We make a weekly menu, create an organized shopping list, and go grocery shopping only once during the week… most of the time.

Sometimes things get forgotten and a second trip to the store is in order. Although this rarely happens, it does happen. When we need an extra shopping trip I get to go with both of the boys. This is not too bad. In fact thanks to those shopping carts that can hold more than one child {no I do not mean a regular shopping cart where one child sits in the seat and the other sits in the cart.} shopping with both of my children is not the nightmare I originally thought it was going to be.

I tell my children that if they behave and help mommy we will say hello to the lobsters and the fish. Thanks to shows like Octonauts and Wild Kratts, my children are very interested in animals and sea creatures {that and a membership to the Brookfield Zoo}. Needless to say my little peanuts are great little shoppers now that there is incentive to be good.

We stop by to see the fish, say hello, read about the different types of fish, and try to get the fish to follow our fingers along the tank. This little activity takes about five minutes, but it is totally what makes the shopping trip cool for my kids.

Project 366

Project 366 Day 53 of One Photo A Day

Grocery Store Fish

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...