Thursday, March 29, 2012

Getting crafty with crayons: A fun toddler activity!

If you are anything like me you have a supply cabinet full of crayons, paints, paper, and play-doh. My crafty creation supply cabinet is where I go whenever I am looking for something to do with the kids that is a hands on. Painting, coloring, and cooking crafts all come from my supply cabinet.

Right now my supply cabinet is a hot mess. It is in need of some serious re-organizing, but that will be a whole other post. I decided that I needed to take a look at my supplies and take inventory. I needed to make a list of items we needed and sort through the broken bits and pieces of supplies that were everywhere!


As I was on my cleaning mission I discovered a whole plastic container of broken crayons and decided that we were going to do a fun crayon project AND clean out my clutter! We were going to get crafty with crayons and bake the broken bits! Viola~ my afternoon in a nutshell!





What you need:
·         Broken crayons (make sure to take off the paper)
·         Cupcake Baking Pan
·         Oven


How to make it:

1.      Take all of the crayons and remove the paper.

2.      Place the broken crayons in the cupcake pan. You can make this a sorting game, a counting game, or you can have your child simply place the broken crayons in the cupcake pan wherever they want. We sorted by color.

3.      Bake the broken crayons at 250 degrees for 20 minutes (using a dark nonstick pan).

4.      Let cool before removing from pan.

5.      Enjoy!



This was a fun and educational activity that is appropriate for all ages. It was my first time tackling this craft and we had a lot of fun. I think next time we will try some fun shaped pans and mix up the colors. This was definitely a great way to upcycle broken crayons.



Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...