Saturday, March 10, 2012

When is the right age to take your child to get their hair cut?

When I was a little girl I remember my mother cutting my hair. I have two cowlicks and my hair has a mind of its own. I am just along for the ride when it comes to my hair and I am completely fine with it. Both of my children have been blessed with cowlicks as well… Hooray me!

My older son gets his hair buzzed by my husband who has embraced the clippers with a passion {seriously… he researched and bought a clipper set and even has a tutorial that he follows for cutting my sons hair.} My younger son is eleven months old and his hair is completely different than my older son’s hair, it requires more maintenance.

I trim my baby boys hair with scissors and have since he was ity bity. He squirms a lot {most babies do}, so cutting his hair is no walk in the park. If I am being perfectly honest his haircuts are beyond my current level of expertise. I kind of do a hack job on his hair. After discussing it with my husband we decided to take him to one of those children haircut places. They should know what they are doing, right?

First Haircut!

The baby barber shop, as I like to call it, was pretty cool. All of the haircut chairs were vehicles. There were planes, trains, and automobiles that the kiddies got to sit in and pretend to drive while they got their hair cut.  Each station had a small television with DVD system so each child could watch their choice of film while getting styled. There was even a place for the siblings to play while they waited. At the end of the haircut each child could pick a prize to take with them. Seriously cool!

My eleven-month-old sat in the model airplane chair and watched Elmo on the television and played with the steering wheel all while the stylist whirled around him snipping and cutting and combing like crazy. It was like a whirlwind whipping his hair into shape. I have to say I was impressed.

I think I may attempt to replicate this experience at home for my children and future haircuts. If that turns out to be a mission impossible I am glad to know I have a backup plan. I paid $15 for my eleven month old to get his hair cut and I think they did a great job!

Did you or do you cut your children’s hair? At what age do you think that the beauty salons or barber shops are appropriate?


Project 366

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...